PlaceFirst, the specialist build-to-rent developer behind West End One in Morecambe, has handed over the first properties for rent. Ten 4-bedroom houses have recently been completed on Westminster Road and the developer reports strong market interest with half of the properties pre-let prior to completion.
The £5.5m project is transforming 27 empty, former guesthouses through innovative refurbishment and remodelling, to create 51 stylish and energy efficient homes that blend the best of old and new and deliver an aspirational housing choice within the West End of Morecambe. All homes will be available for private rent direct with PlaceFirst who design, build, and manage a growing portfolio of high quality, fair value homes.
PlaceFirst commenced work on site in May 2015 and expect to complete the development by Autumn 2016. West End One is the first phase in a two phase development and is expected to be followed by West End Two which also breathe new life into long-term empty, former guesthouses on an adjacent site.
The project is being delivered in partnership with Lancaster City Council. On 16th December Lancaster Council Members and senior Officers were shown around the 4-bedroom houses prior to their handover.
PlaceFirst report strong market interest in the new homes with over 260 registers of interest to date and growing local interest through their Facebook page which provides a range of updates on how the development is progressing. Of the ten 4-bedroom homes released in January, half have been pre-let and there are a number of applications currently being reviewed by PlaceFirst.
David Smith-Milne, Managing Director of PlaceFirst said “We are really pleased to be able to deliver an aspirational choice of high quality homes for rent in the West End of Morecambe. The market response in the new homes has been tremendous and its clear that customers value not only the quality of these brand new homes, but the direct customer service with PlaceFirst. PlaceFirst don’t deal with third-party agents and as such, our customers benefit from lower fees and a direct relationship with their landlord. These homes are setting a new quality benchmark in the West End and our investment demonstrates that, with the right approach, this historic neighbourhood has a lot to offer”.
Following the completion of the four-bedroom houses, PlaceFirst’s next release of homes is anticipated by Spring 2016 and includes a mix of one, two, and three-bedroom properties. Final completion of West End One is scheduled for Autumn 2016.
Anyone interested in renting a brand new, energy efficient home at West End One can register interest online through PlaceFirst’s website www.placefirst.co.uk, or can call them on 0161 413 5810. All available homes can also be found on RightMove and Zoopla.
For further information please contact:
Martin Ellerby, Head of New Business & Innovation
e-mail: [email protected]
tel: 0161 434 4720 / 07917 344 953
Notes to editors:
- High resolution copies of the interior images at West End One can be downloaded from PlaceFirst’s Flickr page
- PlaceFirst aims to deliver 1,000 properties rental homes across the North of England over the next two years as the business grows into a leading provider of high quality, affordable build-to-rent housing in the UK.
- In addition to 91 homes in the West End of Morecambe, PlaceFirst are working on build-to-rent projects across the North including 27 homes in Colne (completed May 2015), and 125 homes at Woodnook, Accrington, and 77 homes in Hartlepool.
- Energy efficiency is a key feature of all PlaceFirst developments, recognising that lower income families in particular, feel the ‘squeeze’ on rising utility costs.
- PlaceFirst homes are let on a 12-month Assured Short-hold Tenancy (AST) which customers can renew with no administration charges. PlaceFirst customers benefit from a transparent, index-linked annual rent review, and the knowledge that they can rent their home for as long as they choose to.
- PlaceFirst are committed to improving the image of private renting and, in addition to the usual credit checks and references, potential customers are asked to sign a neighbourhood agreement that promotes and rewards good tenant behaviour.